Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Texas State Stair Challenge

This was a two mile race put on by one of my friends from the Triathlon Club here at Texas State. It was a small race and ended up only having four runners, but it was one of the most unique and cool races that I've ever been a part of. The challenge of the race is that we would run down to the lowest elevation of campus which ended up being close to one mile, and then from there we had to run up every stair on campus to get back to where we started.

My friend Austin from Triathlon club was also running and he knew the course and is a bit faster than me so I followed him for the first mile downhill. We hit the mile at about 5:00 and after that it was all uphill from there (in a bad way). As soon as we started to climb the stairs I could feel the lactic acid in my legs starting to build up and it hurt bad. I slowed way down and just tried to keep a comfortable pace. Once I climbed all the stairs it was about a 200m run to the finish and I just ran it in at the same pace. I don't think I've ever been that close to cramping up so many times in one race, but I'm really glad I did it because it was a cool challenge and at least I finished it. My time ended up being about 13 minutes.

Seth, my friend that put on the race had gotten a ton of prizes and awards for the winners and because only four people showed up to run we ended up all getting something pretty cool and even all the volunteers got some cool stuff too. I ended up with a subway gift card and a couple of shirts so I couldn't be happier with how that race went. Seth raised a lot of money for our club and we all really appreciated how much work he put into the race. It was a lot of fun and if they have this race again next year I'll definitely be a part of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment